Thursday 3 November 2016

Exercise 4.3 A subjective voice

We are asked to consider how our own circumstances and experiences may have influences our view of the landscape.

Perhaps a start point is to look again at Exercise 1.1 Preconceptions; what do I think of when the subject is raised. Evidently it is the idealised Arcadian concepts of fields, sheep, fluffy clouds, greenery and twee dwellings. It is the classic middle-class idealism, arising from a protected upbringing that saw the rural landscape as something to be visited and enjoyed; landscape therefore evinces a sense of something different from the suburban existence that I have lived nearly all my life, but something that is accessible (I drive and have always owned a car) and somehow fulsome and educational to experience; the sense of being 'out in the fresh air'. 

In may case, the above is accentuated by being naturally interested in the human world. I would say this is nature rather than nurture, but, critically, the latter comes into play as I had the opportunity to explore and develop my interest, in an academic sense by studying a degree in Geography, and in a non academic sense by being a Scout, and walking a lot. It breeded a familiarity, or perhaps a desire and lack of fear of exploring the countryside. I like a project with an aim, a start point and a conclusion, and am good at planning; attributes that suit very well walking Trails. Landscape thus becomes an object of exploration, a challenge to be conquered in a limited way. George Mallory's oft quoted aphorism- "Because it's there" - when asked why he climbed mountains, applies to many of us who see a challenge and want a part of it. It does not need to be Everest; the same applies to Offa's Dyke Path that I have recently completed. It is a Trail, it is THERE, and it sounds interesting to walk along, and admire and analyse the changing landscape.

I have been aware for a long time how white, relatively old, and middle class the rural scene is, both in terms of residency and visits. I have never seen a black person walking in the countryside, in fact hardly at all. But I have seen Asian groups, usually families, tackle some well-known routes such as the path from A370 to the summit of Pen y Fan in Brecon Beacons, It is difficult not to have sympathy with Ingrid Pollard who feels outcast in the sea of white, but perhaps it reflects a deeper seated issue: that black culture does not subsume many interests of whites. I am a football fan and notice the paradox that there are many black players but very few black fans; and I don't think that is merely (or even) a financial issue. Black males evidently do not feel comfortable in the situation. Ethnic minorities do not as a rule run for fitness and pleasure, (albeit I saw a woman wearing a hijab jogging recently) although black men will pump iron in the gym. It all adds to a very white, middle-class, older (I think) view of the idealised Landscape. 

That's my Landscape: one to visit, to enjoy, rather like a grandchild. Get in the car, drive to it, enjoy it for a few hours and hand  it back at the end of the day by driving back to suburbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment