Wednesday 20 April 2016

Assignment One Feedback

Received feedback for the first assignment (direct quotes in italics):

The positives I draw from this are:
  • Technical and visual styles are used to good effect. We have moved on from worrying unduly about taking great images, but there is still visual effect to consider; as a photographer, you want to feel you are taking good images that catch the viewer's eye;
  • Projects and exercises completed to very high standard. I take them seriously and really enjoyed doing them. Good to see tutor is reviewing these as well as Assignment;
  • Research sound;
  • Learning Log is exceptionally clear and easy to navigate. This is something I have worked on since People and Place, when there was justifiable tutor criticism of the blog's layout. In particular, I took the time to find a source that explained how to use the sidebar to set out post titles rather than dates. From my experience with UVC, I also look to embed material, such as the tutor report in this post;
  • Summary: A great start!
Things to work on:
  • Making more of the context and presenting images as a coherent set rather than single items: Rather than looking at a set of coherent images I feel as though I am looking at a set of questions exploring different view points. This is a very fair comment as I was conscious that perhaps the set did not hang together well; I was constrained somewhat by  the limit of twelve images and therefore the contradiction between beautiful and sublime as the contrast between single images, whereas tutor points out that obvious contradictions within the landscape could be highlighted more, such as the graffiti wall image. Point taken, some of the images (like the phallic marker) do not say a lot, perhaps as a result of my former photographic club's emphasis on cropping images and avoiding 'busy' images; for context, you actually need some 'busyness' so as to explore concepts;
  • Consider shortening quantity of reflections. This is a more tricky one, as I like mulling over the images and arguments. Tutor says it is my decision, so I will maintain my reflective style, but adopt the suggestion of using bullet points more, as have done here.
Overall, pleased with comments, and encouraged to maintain progress.
 



      No comments:

      Post a Comment