Monday 22 May 2017

Assignment Six feedback

Assignment Six feedback was brief:
"This is a shorter report than usual as I’m not commenting on any projects/ research. You’ve done exceptionally well to complete this course given your recent bereavement".
The study is well received. Tutor notes I omitted a stage in Autumn when leaves changed colour. As explained in my narrative, this was caused by personal difficulties. The typo on dates referred to has been changed.

The advice re positioning is well received.  I still think I should have allowed a wider composition to start with, both to allow for positional change and tree growth. Photoshop cropping now has the tool to fill white space when cropping, which I used with one image, but a wider perspective would have allowed a perfect alignment. Or perhaps I have seen too many car commercials.....

Have taken on board tutor's suggestion to present in book format; this is now part of the assessment submission. The output looks very good and is something to treasure after what has been a traumatic year. The slideshow is available on Flickr:

Assignment 6

In honest answer to the question about practitioners mentioned in the Assignment, no I did not consult any of them. This was mainly because I decided what to do based on a previous OCA Assignment from another student that viewed a landscape image in different seasons. I thought an extension of that to a tree in an artifical environment that might itself develop over a year (it did not but that would have been a bonus rather than material) would work well. I was aware of the need to do this Assignment from other blogs, so found what I wanted to do before even signing up.

Not that that of course prevents one reading and viewing the work of other practitioners. I am aware of Paul Hill's seminal work  in The Peaks of Derbyshire demonstrated different tonality using a medium grey medium, a deliberately challenging way of viewing the landscape by removing colour from the equation. It is good photography but actually represents the antithesis of my effort, which is largely based on colour transition, both the intensity of the greens (in particular) but also how the seasonal weather transition affects the viewer's reaction.

I looked up Klett and Byron, and came across these examples of their work:
Byron Wolfe, 2003. The life of a cloud. Available from http://www.byronwolfe.com/2010/12/the-life-of-a-cloud.html. Accessed on 21 May 2017.

Mark Klett and Byron Wolfe, 2007. Details from the view at Point Sublime on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, based on the panoramic drawing by William Holmes (1882).
Available from http://www.byronwolfe.com/grand-canyon/.
Accessed on 21 May 2017.
The former chimes very directly with my approach, and I experimented with a similar presentation, as may be seen online here, and set out below:

 
A very interesting exercise, and have learnt some techniques of presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment